History of the House
Constructed in 1838 by Friedrich August Scheidel in the neo-classical style, this house is part of the first building phase of the Eastern city expansion of Leipzig, which began in 1836. The development of the new district, Friedrichstadt, was closely related to a boom in the book industry. Many publishing and printing companies settled in this area, among them such publishers as Breitkopf & Härtel and C. F. Peters. The Inselstraße soon belonged to the main axis in this new district of Leipzig.
It was here that Robert and Clara Schumann moved into their first joint apartment on September 13th 1840, a residence in which they spent the first four years of their marriage. During this time, their house developed into one of the cultural centers of Leipzig; a place to gather and meet. Through Schumann’s work as editor and publisher of the New Journal of Music as well as his growing recognition as a composer, the artist couple regularly welcomed famous personalities into their home. The Schumanns’ diaries give detailed accounts of numerous experiences, especially with leading composers of their time, among whom were Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Franz Liszt, and Hector Berlioz.
1999 the house, which was in much need of repair, was purchased by the Rahm Dittrich Group and reconstructed under strict adherence to historical monument guidelines – the founding premise for its current use being a unique symbiosis of a museum, a place of education and an event location.
The principal occupant of this building is the Freie Grundschule “Clara Schumann” (free elementary school “Clara Schumann”) with its artistic profile. Together, the Schumann-Verein Leipzig e.V., the curators of the museum, and the event coordinators impart the cultural and historical meaning of this house and fill it with life, hosting over 40 concerts per year in the Schumann hall.
The Schumann House has been under the ownership of the Rahn Dittrich Group’s European Stiftung für Bildung und Kultur (Foundation for Education and Culture) since 2014.
Seit 2014 befindet sich das Schumann-Haus im Besitz der Europäischen Stiftung für Bildung und Kultur der Rahn Dittrich Group.